“Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.”– Statutory Framework for the EYFS
At Dundale, our Early Years Curriculum is designed to identify children’s prior learning, both from their experiences at home and previous settings. We work together with parents, carers and other settings to provide the best possible start at ensuring that all children are happy, safe and are able to reach their full potential from their various starting points.
There is a strong emphasis on the Prime Areas of learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
These areas are particularly crucial for igniting children's curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, and for building their capacity to learn, form relationships and thrive.
The specific areas of learning:
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
These areas include essential skills and knowledge and develop from the prime areas, providing important contexts for children’s learning and development in the context of relationships and the environment around them.
In line with our whole-school vision, we encourage all children to be ambitious, resilient, inclusive and reflective, representing Dundale’s core values.
Through our curriculum, we aim to develop:
- The confidence to communicate effectively with adults and peers
- An understanding of how to be a successful and independent member of the community
- To develop confidence in physical activity enabling children to pursue happy, healthy and active lives
A secure knowledge of stories and an excitement about book
An understanding that writing carries meaning
To develop a strong grounding in number
To develop spatial reasoning skills
- An understanding of the similarities and differences between things in the past and no
- An understanding of modern Britain
- An understanding of the natural world
- To develop the ability to express themselves imaginatively and creatively
At Dundale, our curriculum is planned using:
- EY Statutory Framework
- Development Matters
- Birth to Five Matters
- Children’s interests, experiences and needs
- Parent/carer information
- Adult knowledge
- Schemes of works in Phonics, Maths and RE
The children will develop a depth of understanding through a progression of skills and knowledge.
At Dundale, our intended impact is that by the end of Reception, all children make at least good progress from their starting points and are equipped with the knowledge and skills required for a smooth and confident transition into Year One.
Dundale EFS Curriculum Overview / Progression of Skills